The “Broken Ring” monument was erected where the “The Road of Life” began. This “road” was a way across the ice of Lake Ladoga and was used by truck convoys for supplying Leningrad during the siege of 1941-43. Opened on October 29, 1966.


There is no doubt now that the monument to the Road of Life, which saved Leningraders during the blockade, was made for Eternity.

L.Ivanova, New Times, Sept. 9, 2004


In the historical perspective, Broken Ring is still virtually the only modern work of monumental art [in Russia] over a long period of time.

A. Borovsky, World of Design, 1999


The famous monument “Broken Ring” became the symbol of the Leningrad Siege”

T. Manturova, Decorative Art of the USSR, 1989, # 6, Moscow


The monumental feeling of volume in space, so indispensable to the contemporary artist, is revealed in the famous work by K.Simun “ Broken Ring” , near Leningrad.

Svetlov, On Soviet Sculpture, 1960-1980, 1984, Moscow